Monday, May 6, 2013

Inspired by Some Fatties (not the kind you smoke)


A few years ago, I found myself accidently watching an episode of The Biggest Loser.  I’m thinking it was one of the final episodes of the season because there were only like five contestants remaining.  Anyway, I was shocked when I found out they were going to make these fat asses run a marathon…yes, a whole marathon (26.2 miles for those who are not aware).

Granted, at this point in the season the contestants were already well on their way to becoming their healthier selves, by working out all day every day and eating whatever those fitness Nazis told them to.  However, even for really healthy people, running a marathon takes weeks of training.  I know, I looked it up. 

While I chowed down on my Whopper with cheese and Onion Rings, I found that I was inspired by this idea of running a marathon.  And as an added bonus it would give me an excuse to buy some new athletic gear.  

Count me in.
 
Even more surprisingly, as I watched in amazement, each contestant completed the race (I don’t think they actually ran/jogged the whole thing but I suppose that’s not really the point).  I knew what I had to do.

At the time of this revelation, I had been an ex smoker for about six months, so I was feeling pretty healthy.  However, I've never been a runner and i'm not from Kenya, so I knew this was going to be a challenge.  Oh yeah, and I have Asthma.  Yes, stop yelling… I’m aware that smoking and Asthma don’t go together.

The very next day, I strapped on a pair of running shoes, turned up the tunes…and ran for TWO MILES…without stopping or walking at all!  Every minute of it sucked!

This may not seem like an impressive feat to most, but let me reassure you that I've NEVER excelled at running distances.  Even when I was in middle school I remember feeling like I was going to die when they made us run a mile in The President’s Challenge (a dumb fitness test they made everyone do back in the day).

I started running two miles a day, four times a week, and I kept doing it until running two miles started not to feel awful.  Then I upped it to three miles, and so on, and so on.  After awhile, I actually started to look forward to my self-inflicted torture tests.

After about five months of this, I had worked up to a long run of about 7.5 miles and was feeling really great about my new found ability.  I even had plans to run the Detroit marathon later that year!  But like some good stories, sometimes they crash and burn. 

One thing led to another and I was forced to put running on hold.  Life became chaotic; I started smoking again, and lost sight of this particular goal.    

Alas, I have regained my senses!  As of this past Friday, I've recommitted to quitting smoking…again.  I can’t wait to get back into torture, I mean running.  Maybe this time I can reach my goal.  I just know something like this will happen to me.....




1 comment: